Money And Happiness
Get More Of Both In Your Focus & In Your Pocket
Money and happiness can go hand in hand, and it's much, much better if they do. As a matter of fact, in many ways you can't have one without the other.
You may have heard the quote from Marsha Sinetar, "Do what you love and the money will follow." This idea puts your passion first, and there's a good reason for that. If you put the money first, you may end up sacrificing your happiness, and that is too great a cost...that also limits your wealth.
That's why you want to focus on both at the same time.
In the chart below, you will see how to break this down and get started on your journey to greater wealth and joy. As you can see, it all starts between your ears...
Would you rather be rich and unhappy, or happy and poor?
That's the wrong question...you don't want either one. So we're going for both wealth and happiness, with an eye to the happiness part, since that's the only thing that gives money its value any way.
Now let's expand on these four categories from the chart above.
More Money And Happiness In Your Mind
This is where you have the most freedom and control, so in many ways it's the most important place of all.
- How you think -- Be positive about your happiness and your money, and you will attract more of both into your life. This is tried and true...just ask any happy, wealthy person.
- What you visualize -- You're always
visualizing stuff in your mind, whether you realize it or not. Take
charge of this powerful creative process by beginning right now to
picture yourself wealthy and happy, however you define that. Then
revisit, revise and refresh that picture daily.
- How you think about wealth -- Tell
yourself that money and wealth are good, and that you want them in your
life on an ongoing basis...regardless of your circumstances. Examine
your negative beliefs about wealth, money and being rich, and replace
every negative belief with a positive one.
- How you respond to wealth
-- When you see or hear of someone being wealthy, be happy for them,
and say to yourself, "That is me." Say yes to wealth and joy everywhere
you see or experience it, and you will literally be inviting more and
more of it into your life.
This is an all-the-time-everywhere exercise, and the more you practice it, the easier it will be for you.
More Money And Happiness In Your Relationships
Hang out with people who are like you want to be...happy and financially well off. This attitude is contagious, and you want to catch it!
- Pay attention to your conversations. Steer the topics toward optimism about money, the economy and all the many positive possibilities for the future.
- Be happy for your friends' wealth. Congratulate your friends on every success and joy in their lives. No room here for envy or jealousy...that will only push away what you want.
Celebrate with a big "Yes!" and a fist in the air, every time you see or hear about happiness and financial success. Then cap it off with an enthusiastic, "Bring it on!"
- Wish them well in your mind. Every time you think of
your friends, picture them well off financially and happy. This an act
of love and generosity, and it will help you to grow your own wealth and
- Have lots of fun with your friends.
That's what friendship is for anyway, right? Research has shown that
having good friends is one of the best things you can do for your
happiness. And remember, happiness promotes financial well being.
If this seems out of reach, just take small steps. You'll be amazed at how quickly you can get to where you want to be.
More Money And Happiness In Your Pocket
Money in the pocket...what a great ring that has to it! What about happiness in your pocket...hmmm...that seems a little weird.
Here's the idea:
- On your devices -- Put positive affirmations and images of money and happiness on your phone or tablet, and look at them regularly. Keep updating and adding new images and affirmations, to keep this fresh and alive in your mind. It works!
- Cash on hand -- You'll feel better if
you have a good supply of cash in your wallet or purse, even if you
rarely use it (preferring plastic, like so many of us). And feeling good
about yourself and money is key to getting more of it flowing into your
- Managing expenses -- If you don't do this
part, the rest of this won't work. Cutting expenses and spending less
is...well...money in the pocket! You can do this. Remember...small
- Growing assets -- Save, invest, and if you
can, buy assets such as small business and real estate that throw off
cash flow. At the very least, set a goal of regular savings, and don't
let anything stop you.
All of this will make you happier!
Practice each of these steps, and don't give up. You'll start seeing results.
More Money And Happiness In Your Routine
You have set the stage by getting more money and happiness in your mind, your relationships and your pocket. Now it's time to focus on actions to take to make this part of your regular habits and behavior patterns.
Whether you know it or not, you're in charge of your routine.
- How you start each day -- This is where you prepare yourself, and tune your body/mind instrument for the successful day of creating joy and wealth in your day. The best approach is to develop your own happiness habit and practice it regularly.
- Your priorities and your values -- This is how you make out your list of to-do's for the day. When you set your priorities according to your greatest values, you will succeed. List the top 10 most important things in the world to you, and those are your values. Now set your agenda for each day so that it reflects what you hold as most important.
"Self discipline is the result of wanting something so much that you can't imagine spending your time focused on anything else."
- Self discipline -- Get very clear on what you want. Focus powerfully on how much you want it, and revisit this goal every day. Get fired up and inspired to make it happen, and the self control and consistent action you need will naturally follow.
- Your follow through -- If this doesn't happen, then...well, you know. You won't get what you're looking for. Structure your day and put the hard parts at the beginning. The more you do the hard parts, the easier they get. Then, reward yourself (in healthy ways) at the end of the day, and then get up the next morning and do it again.
You can do this. Grab one of these steps, and start with a new one every day, until you're doing them all. Failure is a decision, so fortunately, that means success is a decision too!
Decide to succeed, and you will!
You will also enjoy this article from Money Magazine
The Only 3 Things You Need To Know About Money and Happiness
More Great Articles To Grow Your Wealth And Joy
Can Money Buy Happiness? Get the answer to this question, and learn how money and happiness can work together to create emotional wealth and financial freedom, giving you just what you're looking for.
How Do You Define Happiness?
Take a look at the three basic ways we human beings define happiness,
and which one works best. And, learn about an excellent tool for growing
your happiness for the rest of your life.