How To Find Happiness
In Everyday Life
Authored by William G. DeFoore, Ph.D.
Learn how to find happiness on purpose, every day. It adds enthusiasm, excitement and motivation to your life, which makes everything work better.
Where do you look to find happiness? You can look outside yourself, and sometimes that works really well. Here are some examples:
- A great conversation with a friend
- A fun, feel-good movie, game or TV show
- Listening to your favorite music
- Getting some unexpected money
These all can bring happiness. But no matter what is happening outside you...your happiness comes from inside you! That's right, no matter what happens outside that lights you up, that light...that joy comes from inside.
about that for a minute. Whatever happens outside you, the feeling of
happiness comes from inside. For example, one person might feel good
after a certain movie, but another person might not. In other words, the
happiness doesn't come from the movie, it comes from the person.
That's really good news, because it means you don't have to depend on anybody else to make you happy. You were born happy, and you're going to learn how to reconnect with that natural joy you were born with.
This approach is all about freedom and responsibility. You're responsible for your happiness, which means you're also free to do something about it.
So take responsibility and exercise your freedom to be upbeat, enthusiastic and focused every day.
How To Find Happiness Right Now
The first step is to decide you want to be happy, and you already did that, or you wouldn't be here. Choosing happiness is not something you do once and then you're done, it's something you do over and over again for the rest of your life.
The next step is to develop a lot of tools and methods that will help you achieve happiness, no matter what is going on in your life. Let's look at some of those now.
You can find happiness:
- With your thoughts. How you think about yourself, other people and the world around you has major impact on how you feel. Feelings follow thoughts, so use thoughts that will lead you to the feelings you want.
- With your focus. What you pay attention to, or what you focus on can greatly affect how you feel. You can't pay attention to everything, so you're already choosing what to pay attention to, all day every day. When you learn to focus on things that lift your spirits,make you smile and give you hope, you will be much happier.
- With Goodfinding. When you regularly think and write about what you are grateful for, what you appreciate, and what you're looking forward to, your happiness will grow and grow. That's what Goodfinding is...gratitude, appreciation and optimism.
Start every day with your own routine of creating happiness on purpose, and this will set the tone for the rest of your day. Like a musician tuning her instrument, you will be tuning your body and mind for a day of success and joy.
How To Find Happiness Every Day
Here are some things to think about on creating happiness every day:
- Take nothing for granted. Look inside and around you, every time you can remember to, and notice what is good, right and working. Breathe, relax and appreciate.
- Look beyond the veil of the familiar. It is so
easy to let familiarity rob you of appreciation. You buy a beautiful
painting, or piece of furniture...you love it...and then you get used to
it, and it no longer brings joy. Pull aside the veil and see the value of what is right in front of you.
- Notice what feels good in your body.
There is a lot more right than wrong with you, and it will greatly
enhance your well being and immune function is you will take the time to
appreciate what's working just fine.
This is how to find happiness. You can do this. You are capable of mastering these skills. You will run into some barriers and roadblocks along the way, but you'll learn to overcome those also.
Cultivate The Garden Of Your Soul