Self Motivation Techniques
To Help You Reach All Of Your Diet & Exercise Goals
Authored by William G. DeFoore, Ph.D.
When you have good self motivation techniques, you can do anything you set your mind to. Your will power is actually far greater than you think, you just have to learn how to use it.
I'm going to tell you how to get started, make it happen, and keep it going. Every step is just as important as all of the others. You just can't leave any of these steps out.
Here's an overview of your self motivation process:
Get Started On Your Self Motivation Techniques
Getting started is key...without it, nothing else will happen. You are already on your way, because you're reading this page--good for you! Now let's go the rest of the way.
First, think about what you want to motivate yourself to do. Then...
- Review your past experiences -- Why past experiences? Because you (like everybody else) believe that your future is determined by your past. It's not. Review your past experience, list those that had the strongest positive and the most negative impact (you can benefit from both).
- Old beliefs and perceptions -- Ask yourself what you concluded from those experiences you just reviewed, about yourself, your future and the world around you. Those are your beliefs, but you're not stuck with them. Write them down, and separate the positive beliefs from the negative, self-limiting ones.
- New beliefs and behaviors -- Now take each one of those negative, self-limiting beliefs and replace them with positive, upbeat, optimistic beliefs that are true (or you really want them to be true). Then take each of your positive beliefs from your list, and expand on them as many ways as you can, thinking of new behaviors that will reinforce and strengthen the new beliefs.
Now the trick is repetition...write those new beliefs down several times daily, until they become automatic and well established in your subconscious mind.
"Everything you want is within your reach, only a string of small, doable steps away."
Now It's Time To Make It Happen
You've already started to make it happen...you're here, and you're learning these self motivation techniques. That's an excellent start! Now let's keep going.
You're going to run into some obstacles, then you're going to break through them, create a vision and develop a plan. You will get to where you want to be, one small step at a time.
Everyone runs into barriers along the way to reaching their goals. It's natural...what separates us is whether we give up or not.
All you have to do is keep going, no matter what. The next best step, and the next, and the next. Just keep going.
- Break through barriers -- You've already started this. Listing your old beliefs is the first step, and the next one is listing the old self-destructive behaviors that go along with those beliefs. So, list your self-limiting behaviors, and those are your barriers, and the rest of this page is your break-through plan.
Daily Self Motivation Techniques
1) Every morning, visualize yourself eating healthy meals and portions, and reaching all of your exercise goals. Picture as much detail as possible.
2) Next, imagine yourself eating those healthy meals and portions, and how good you feel during and after those meals. Savor those good feelings of accomplishment.
- Create a vision -- This is where you're going. Don't hold back on this, and stretch yourself a little beyond what you think is possible. This is very important. Your imagination is your creative mechanism, so create the vision of yourself in your future with the health and happiness you want. Check the reminder box for some more steps.
- Develop a plan -- Write down a specific plan for what you're going to eat, and how much. Make a schedule, and stick with it. Also schedule your exercise/workout plan. Either write it down, or ideally, put it in an electronic calendar with reminders. Keep making the schedule every day, whether you stuck with it the previous day or not. Look forward, not back!
No regrets, no guilt. Just go forward to the next best thing! That is the key to creating the health, fitness and happiness you want.
Self Motivation Techniques To Keep It Going
If you're like most people, wanting to be healthy is easy, getting started is almost as easy, and keeping it going is the hardest part.
Attitude is everything. Never give up. Just take the next step, and the next, and the next. You'll be amazed at how far you can go, when you just keep going.
In many ways, life is an athletic event. What I mean is, to age well and stay happy and healthy throughout your life, you need to be physically fit and have your head in the game.
Believe you can do it. Even better, know you can do it. The more self motivation techniques you have in your toolkit the better. It really is true that, "Where there's a will there's a way."
OK, now for some specific tools and techniques:
Success Is A State Of Mind
Champion your own cause! When you are your own best friend and supporter, you have a valuable asset with you everywhere you go.
Spend time getting excited about feeling good, looking good, being fit and energetic and anything else you're trying to achieve. Think about how good it's going to feel to eat well and exercise regularly. Get pumped about your success!
- Daily journaling -- This is one tool you just cannot leave out. Why? Because it is the only way to truly observe and change your thought processes and establish new beliefs. Watch the video and follow the guidelines on this page, and you'll be good to go.
- Celebrating success -- Make note of and feel good about every small effort
or step forward...no matter what. Look ahead with a positive attitude,
and you'll never be caught in disappointment and despair. Congratulate
yourself, and be your own positive coach and cheerleader.
- Setting new goals -- Keep your energy and enthusiasm
alive with new goals based on new learning. Read daily about healthy
habits and what it takes to promote well being, and try new approaches
that feel right to you. Use health and fitness apps on your
devices to monitor your steps per day, heart rate during workouts, etc.
Always use new goals that you can reach, so you feel that sweet taste of success.
These are the basic self motivation techniques you need to get started and keep going on your journey to health and happiness. The rest is up to you...and you will succeed!